Inverness Trinity Church of Scotland

PROFILE

SITUATION         

The church buildings are situated in Huntly Place, Inverness on the banks of the River Ness.The manse is situated in Kenneth Street which is in the parish within walking distance of the church.

HISTORY            

Inverness Trinity Church came into being on the 11th May 1977 with the opening and dedication of the refurbished St.Mark's site. The congregation was formed as a result of the Union of Inverness Queen Street congregation with the congregation of Inverness Merkinch (St.Marks) in 1971 on the retirement of the Rev. Ian Montgomery as minister of the Queen Street Congregation The former Queen Street Congregation was formed in 1837 when a church was built in Queen Street. The Congregation moved to King Street in 1864 and to Huntly Street/Balnain Street in 1869. In 1868 a new manse was built in Kenneth Street, which backed on to the Church Building in King Street, and this is now the manse of the United Congregations.

The former Merkinch St. Mark's Congregation arose from a Mission Station created in 1861 and a building was completed in 1863. In 1866 the Mission was established as a Church Extension Charge. In 1939 a Hall was built in Thornbush Road as a Church extension designed to have a Church building added on the site, connected to the hall. This did not materialise due to the outbreak of World War 2, so it became known as the Hall Church.

The united congregation was first called St. Mark's (Queen Street and Merkinch) and it was decided that the congregation should be under one roof within seven years. This was achieved in six, with the opening of the refurbished and extended building in Huntly Place on 11th. May 1977, when it was agreed to change the name to Inverness Trinity, as the three previous Congregations had become one. In 1982 a new hall, store and toilet accommodation was completed and a further extension was added in 1986 to provide a small meeting room and store. Further storage space was added in 2004.

MINISTRY.          

The Charge became vacant at the end of June 2003 due to the retirement of the Rev Norman I. Macrae LTh. having served for 37 years. The Rev. Alistair Murray BD. was inducted to the Charge on the 2nd. July 2004.

THE PARISH.     

The Parish extends from South Kessock Point on the north to Young Street on the south and from the River Ness on the east to the Canal on the west. In 2000 the Parish Boundary was altered to take over part of the former West Parish. This included the west side of Telford Street, Harrowden Road, Lochalsh Road  (top end) Telford Gardens, Dunain Road and Fairfield Road from Harrowden  Road to the Canal This change redresses the balance of owner occupied houses against council rented. Thirty percent of the parish is designated as an Urban Priority Area and there is an active Merkinch Enterprise Group and Community Centre in the area. A great deal of work has been done to improve the Merkinch by these organisations. The Church recognises the opportunity presented by the Urban Priority Area part of the Parish

Within the Parish area there are several other places of worship, the Free  Church Mission Hall, the Methodist Church, the Reformed Baptist Church, the Roman Catholic Church, St. Michael's Episcopalian Church, the Inverness Christian Fellowship meeting in the Community Centre, The Salvation Army, who also have a hostel near the Church, with whom we share worship at the Guild Carol Service. Trinity Church enjoys a good relationship with other  churches in the area

The Merkinch Primary School is in the parish and the Central School, which has a separate Gaelic Unit, is on the edge of the parish close to the Manse. There  has been a good chaplaincy contact established with these schools.

WORSHIP.       

Services are held each Sunday at 11 a.m. and 6.30 p.m. with special services for Harvest Thanksgiving, Youth Enrolment, Guild Dedication, Watch Night and Family Services on the Sunday before Christmas  and before the Summer School Holidays

The praise is led by our organist and a choir.

THE CONGREGATION  

We are a gathered congregation of nearly 400 members and almost as many adherents. There is a historic reason in the Highlands for the large number of active adherents

The Kirk Session is made up of 36 Elders and there is a Kirk Session Education Committee. Elders have pastoral responsibility of 37 districts. A pastoral care team is also functioning to look after those with special needs.

The Congregational Board is made up of 19 elected members and all Elders. There is a Fundraising Committee,  whose members provide the means to allow the holding of fundraising and social functions, a Finance Committee and a Fabric Committee, the members of which do a lot of the maintenance of the buildings.

 There is an active Guild, meeting every Tuesday evening from September to May. As well as normal meetings they also hold social functions open  to all members of the congregation to promote fellowship. These are normally well supported. The Guild also financially support the youth organisations and congregational funds  as well as providing fellowship  for its members.

There is an active, although small, Social Club providing mixed fellowship and new members would be made welcome to participate in Carpet Bowling, Scrabble or Dominoes.

The Girls' Brigade company is active and growing but there continues to be a need for new leaders and anyone prepared to help in this capacity will be welcomed and training will be available.

The Boys' Brigade Company has all sections functioning but again there is a need for more leaders and anyone prepared to assist would be welcomed .

The Sunday School is active in all departments including a Genesis Group for the 12 to 17 
age group.

Our halls are regularly used by outside bodies during the day and some evenings. Our own Church organisations use the halls on five evenings  out of seven with the Wednesday evenings frequently used  for Congregational Board and Kirk Session meetings as well as outside bodies.


THE FUTURE.  

There is ample scope for mission in the Parish area as ground, which in the past has been used for industrial and commercial purposes, is being developed as residential premises by building contractors and housing associations. The Merkinch area of the Parish is not strongly reflected in the Congregation  but the vision is to endeavour to give priority to outreach in this area and is now  being actively pursued.

                       

Back to Home Page